Energy Boost Undergraduate Scholarship
The purpose of the Energy Boost Undergraduate Scholarship is to attract local high school graduates who have been personally impacted by the contraction in the coal industry towards an alternative path. Where previously a job in the coal mines may have been the expected path, an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes can open doors to new options in advanced coal and energy.
This scholarship is funded by ACERC's Energy Boost, and all decisions regarding disbursement of scholarships will be determined by ACERC's Scholarship Committee. Contact email@example.com or 618/453-7327 with questions.
- Through their SIU education, students can dig deeper into their passions and questions regarding advanced coal and energy research and innovation.
- Mentoring relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Potential to work with industry through research and internship opportunities.
- Informal social and academic support.
- Professional and Academic enrichment activities.
- Learn more about the benefits of an SIU education at www.SIU.edu.
(Subject to change.)
Opens: January 17, 2017
Submissions Due: March 31, 2017
Winners Announced: April 2017
Award Amount: $5,000 per academic year ($2,500 for fall, $2,500 for spring) for full-time undergraduate students enrolled and in good standing in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes (see other Eligibility Requirements below).
Award Period: Up to four years starting from the Fall 2016 semester; awards will roll over per semester (fall/spring) until the student graduates based on a semi-annual review of student academic performance and/or a personal interview. Awards will not exceed four years for freshman enrolled as of Fall 2017, two years for transfer students enrolled as of Fall 2017, etc.
Number of Awards: Up to five new scholarships will be awarded per academic year.
Questions? Call 618/453-7327 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Be accepted into SIU's Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy processes with the intent to complete an undergraduate degree as a full-time student,
- Be a graduate from a high school in an Illinois county along or south of US50,
- Provide an essay about how they have been personally impacted by the contraction in the coal industry, and
- Provide a letter of reference and copies of most recent transcripts (unofficial OK).
Applications must be received before the deadline as per the Application Procedure below.
- An essay of up to 500 words detailing how you have been personally impacted by the contraction of the coal industry (Microsoft Word document, 500 word limit, single spaced, 1" margins, 12 pt Times New Roman font. Applicant's first and last names and email address are to be in the top right corner of each page.).
- Letter of recommendation from someone familiar with your academic success and potential, e.g., current faculty member, high school teacher, guidance counselor, pastor, etc. (PDF copy of original letter is acceptable, or email directly from reference to email@example.com.)
- Copy of most recent high school transcript or college transcript (unofficial transcripts acceptable).
One student has been awarded the Energy Boost Undergraduate Scholarship for the 2016-2017 Academic Year. It was announced at SIU Energy Day on April 6, 2016. See below for future scholarships. Congratulations to our winner for the 2016-2017 academic year:
- Jake Wagner
Joining SIU from Waterloo High School, Waterloo, IL